Participate in pharmaceutical science research to learn about drug discovery, preclinical and clinical research, precision medicine and pharmacoepidemiology.
Considering a graduate degree in the sciences, but want to explore the options?
Interested in participating in research and experiencing life as a graduate student first-hand?
Curious about potential career opportunities for Ph.D. graduates, particularly in the pharmaceutical sciences?
The Summer Undergraduate Research at Florida (SURF) program is a 10-week research-intensive program that pairs undergraduate students with a faculty advisor and a Ph.D. student mentor. You’ll have an opportunity to experience research at the No. 3 College of Pharmacy in NIH funding and a Top 5 public university.
Students will engage in research and participate in opportunities to learn more about the graduate experience, research in pharmacy, and career paths for Ph.D. graduates. Participants will work alongside graduate student and faculty mentors as they address cancer, diabetes, cardiometabolic disease, pain, addiction and infectious diseases. Research in the college spans from medicinal chemistry to mechanisms of disease, drug action and novel drug delivery, to understanding of differences in drug action and metabolism in different patients, to epidemiology of drug effects.
All costs for SURF participants are paid by UF, including on-campus housing accommodations for the 10 weeks, round-trip flights/mileage to campus, workshops, social events/activities, and a competitive summer stipend. Participants also receive individualized support from our graduate admissions team and an application fee waiver to apply to the UF Pharmaceutical Sciences Ph.D. program for Fall 2024.
SURF 2023 Eligibility
- Must be junior or senior level undergraduate students graduating with a bachelor’s degree between December 2023 through August 2024.
- Current UF students are not eligible for this program.
- Available for U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents only.
- Must demonstrate an interest in pharmaceutical research and pursuing graduate education in pharmaceutical sciences.
- Applications must include your preferred faculty/research projects of interest, resume, unofficial transcripts, and statement of purpose.
- Priority consideration for all SURF positions are given to students expected to apply to the University of Florida Pharmaceutical Sciences Ph.D. program for the Fall 2024 term (at UF, students can apply to a Ph.D. program directly from the completion of their bachelor’s degree). The goal of SURF is support Ph.D. enrollment to the University of Florida.
- All participants are required to participate in all SURF-related events to receive the stipend.
- SURF is a full-time, 40 hours per week commitment during the summer, and students should not intend to enroll in courses or outside employment during the 10-week program.
Note: Pharm.D. students (2PD and 3PDs) interested in research opportunities can apply to our ISRP program. Learn more here.
Find Out When SURF Applications Open
Interested in applying for the SURF program? Sign-up to receive emails on program updates, including when applications for the upcoming year open.
Recap of previous SURF Programs