Participate in pharmaceutical science research to learn about drug discovery, preclinical and clinical research, precision medicine and pharmacoepidemiology.
Considering a graduate degree in the sciences, but not quite sure what area to pursue?
Curious about potential career opportunities for Ph.D. graduates, particularly in the pharmaceutical sciences?
The Summer Undergraduate Research at Florida (SURF) program is a 10-week research-intensive program that pairs undergraduate students with a faculty advisor and a Ph.D. student mentor. You’ll have an opportunity to experience research at the No. 3 College of Pharmacy in NIH funding and a Top 5 public university.
The SURF 2023 program will be offered for 10 weeks in the summer term. Students will engage in research and participate in opportunities to learn more about the graduate experience, research in pharmacy, and career paths for Ph.D. graduates. Participants will work alongside graduate student and faculty mentors as they address cancer, diabetes, cardiometabolic disease, pain, addiction and infectious diseases. Research in the college spans from medicinal chemistry to mechanisms of disease, drug action and novel drug delivery, to understanding of differences in drug action and metabolism in different patients, to epidemiology of drug effects. All costs for SURF participants are paid by UF, including on-campus housing accommodations for the 10 weeks, round-trip flights/mileage to campus, workshops, social events/activities, and a competitive summer stipend. Participants also receive individualized support from our admissions team and an application fee waiver to apply to the UF pharmaceutical sciences Ph.D. program.
SURF 2023 Eligibility
- SURF participants for Summer 2023 must be junior or senior level undergraduate students graduating with a bachelor’s degree between December 2023 through August 2024
- U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents
- Priority consideration for all SURF positions are given to students expected to apply to the University of Florida Pharmaceutical Sciences Ph.D. program for the Fall 2024 term (at UF, students can apply to a Ph.D. program directly from the completion of their bachelor’s degree)
- The University of Florida agrees to provide Ph.D. application fee waivers to all SURF participants. The goal of SURF is support Ph.D. enrollment to the University of Florida.
- Complete the SURF online application including your preferred faculty/research projects of interest, resume, unofficial transcripts, statement of purpose and optional letters of recommendation.
- All participants are required to participate in all SURF-related events to receive the stipend.
- SURF is a full-time, 40 hours per week commitment during the summer, and students should not intend to enroll in courses or outside employment during the 10-week program.
- UF undergrads are not eligible for this program
Note: Pharm.D. students (2PD and 3PDs) interested in research opportunities can apply to our ISRP program. Learn more here.
Recap of previous SURF Programs